Middle School students participate in St. Mark's confirmation program in which they learn about our Christian identity amidst of world of diversity and how each has been called in his or her own way as a follower of Jesus. Each year concludes with a week of fun during Confirmation Camp at Camp Calumet.
30 Hour Famine
Middle and High School youth participate in the 30 hour famine through World Vision each year. It is a time of learning and fasting (refraining from eating) to bring the community's attention to hunger in the world. They raise money and collect food for local and world efforts to eradicate hunger and keep busy with conversation, games and activities around the theme.
Calumet is the New England Synod's outdoor ministry center. The camp, located by beautiful Lake Ossipee in the White Mountain range in Freedom, New Hampshire, is the place to be year-round for friends, faith and fun. Resident camp for kids is the favorite week or two of the year for many kids who grow up at St. Mark. Many of these campers have also gone on to do Leadership Training and be on Staff at Calumet.
Youth have many opportunities to serve in leadership roles. During worship, this can mean serving as a worship assistant, lector, or usher. Several youth teach Sunday School on Sunday mornings or VBS in the summer.
Middle and High School youth attend at least one retreat each year. Retreats are opportunities for us to recharge from our busy lives and enjoy a little rest and relaxation and a lot of fun. These retreats are opportunities to bond as a group, share God's love and have an incredibly good time.
Volunteer Opportunities (Foodshare, Good News Garage, meal packaging, etc.)
We take part in several volunteer opportunities throughout the year, both at church and in the greater community. Youth are able to put their faith into action by serving others in a variety of ways.
Job Responsibilities & Required Qualifications
- Organize a minimum of one monthly youth event for students in grades 6-12 during the school year, September-June, with one event during the summer months.
- Work with the Education & Youth Committee to develop youth ministry programs, and prepare a rolling 6 month calendar of youth activities.
- Continue St. Mark’s partnership with Camp Calumet and the New England Synod by bringing the youth to retreats such as Winter Fling, Confirmation Camp, and Hammonasset Youth Gathering. Plan and coordinate activities in preparation for the tri-annual National Youth Gathering.
- Lead the youth in community service events serving our neighboring communities and our home congregation.
- Lead Sunday school class of grades 7-12 every Sunday morning during the school year.
- Keep congregation involved and informed regarding youth program events/ways to be engaged.
- Be available to parents to discuss issues related to their child or youth ministry.
- Coordinate youth activities with other area church youth groups.
The candidate should be comfortable discussing his/her own faith journey & should serve as an example of Christian life. High school education required. College experience a plus. Background in youth education or training, and/or working with youth preferred.